In addition to manufacturing antibiotic pharmaceuticals (which are highly refined compounds), the natural production of antimicrobial compounds is a key part of the science of using microbes to competitively exclude pathogenic and opportunistic pathogenic microbes.
Examples of applications using microbial competitive exclusion:
- Reducing pathogenic Vibrio sp in shrimp aquaculture
- Lower Salmonella in poultry houses
- Reduce fungal wilts (root fungal pathogens) in agriculture
- Help reduce pathogens on floors in food processing facilities
- Lower E coli and other enteric microbes in wastewater
- Help control filamentous bulking in wastewater