Enzymes are manufactured by cells to be substrate specific and function under a set range of environmental conditions. If the conditions such as pH or temperature are not in the correct range or an inhibitory compounds bind with the enzyme active site, the enzyme's effectiveness is compromised and it is rendered useless.
- Amylase - converts starches into smaller sugars
- Cellulase - breaks down cellulose
- Lipase - degradation of fats & grease
- Protease - proteins converted into amino acid components
- Oxygenase - adds oxygen to chemicals and is very important in complex chemical degradation