Can I treat XXX?
What polymer should I use?
My biomasss is floating but nothing changed in the influent?
In ease case, the operator wants me to give a concise answer that definitely does not contain "it depends".
Here is how to get a better answer from consultants:
- More data is better - we can sort out the details if given a legend (key).
- For biological treatment, we like to know BOD5 as well as TOC/COD - remember BOD5 is the reasily biodegradable portion
- Are there any xenobiotics (toxic or quasi-toxic compounds) in the influent
- With Ammonia - give me influent TKN as nitrogen cycle not just ammonia is important
- Physical treatment system - with volumes, flows, layout help me. If you have a mass balance, it lowers my workload as I always like to do a mass balance when evaluating a system.
- Treatment goals - without goals where is treatment going!
- What solutions have you already tried in the past.
Remember, consultants are only as good as the information that they are given. Failure to communicate key information can result in poor results.