- AOB/NOB (Nitrifier) populations - any changes can impact these slower growing microbes, qPCR tracking is more sensitive and accurate than any other nitrifier monitoring technology.
- Filamentous organisms - after identifying the most problematic filaments, a custom qPCR test can monitor MLSS with accuracy and objectivity that is difficult with current microscopic methods.
- Sulfur reducing and oxidizing microbes - SRB and SOX microbes are important in both collection and wastewater treatment systems. Instead of relying on plate counts or corrosion/odors, qPCR monitors the population even at extremely low concentrations. Thereby, operators can correct the problems before problems arise.
- Phosphate accumulating organisms - a key microbial group for biological phosphate removal, PAO bacteria can be monitored to improve operational controls.
- Other - any key organism or group of organisms can be monitored by building a custom qPCR test.
Molecular testing includes qPCR or quantitative PCR which our lab at Aster Bio is developing into a powerful wastewater monitoring tool. After discovering organisms of interest using metagenomic testing or system surveys, custom test kits make qPCR a rapid, quantitive test for target microbial populations. What can be monitored with qPCR?
Erik Rumbaugh has been involved in biological waste treatment for over 20 years. He has worked with industrial and municipal wastewater facilities to ensure optimal performance of their treatment systems. He is a founder of Aster Bio (www.asterbio.com) specializing in biological waste treatment.
Click to set custom HTML