The way we determine cell yield and kinetic rates is through the use of a bioreactor or chemostat. This unit can be adjusted to meet the anticipated environmental values of the system. In most cases we run a complete mix with excess dissolved oxygen when simulating aerobic treatment systems.
What do you learn from running this type test?
- Cell yield per unit chemical or COD/BOD
- Degradation rates of individual chemicals
- Impact on microbial makes up of MLSS using Environmental Genomics 16S screening
- Evaluate floc and EPS formation on the new influent
- And determine which microbes are the best fit for treating the waste.